With one of the best 3D printers, you can produce virtually anything you want. If you are a designer, you can create realistic prototypes, actualizing your dreams. Besides, teachers can use 3D printers in the classroom to train their pupils in design-related fields of study. However, the type of 3D printer you buy depends on whether you are a designer, teacher, or home user.
That shouldn’t be an issue, given the variety of 3D printers on the market. Only that you should be clear the purpose for buying the printer and the price range in which you wish to operate. We have taken the stress from you by testing and reviewing some of the best devices in this category. Don’t look anywhere else!
Check out: Best HP Laptop Computers for 2021
What are the best 3D printers?
After extensive testing and evaluation of several top-of-the-range 3D printers, we recommend the Comgrow Creality Ender 3 Pro. It is available on Amazon for $279, which is relatively affordable. Besides, it is recommended as part of Amazon’s Choice list.
1. Comgrow Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D Printer with Removable Build Surface Plate and UL Certified Meanwell Power Supply 220x220x250mm
The reason you should buy the Comgrow Creality Ender 3 Pro is the extensive testing that goes into each part before shipping. It is geared to spruce up educational STEM programs such as electronic and mechanical engineering. Besides being removable, the build surface maintains a consistent temperature, making it safe to remove the printed model. Finally, the heat bed attains 110 degrees Celsius within only a few minutes for fast printing.
- Has a removable surface plate
- Can resume printing after interruption
- Minimizes nozzle clogging
- Protection against power surges
- Evens out the temperature on the build surface
- It has a removable surface plate for protecting the build plate and evening out the build surface temperature.
- With a safe power supply, the printer is protected against unexpected power surges.
- The Ender-3 Pro function can resume printing where it left after an abrupt power loss.
- It comes with a semi-assembled kit so that you can learn more about constructing 3D printers.
- With its extruder design, the 3D printer is upgraded and can minimize nozzle clogging or low extraction.
2. ANYCUBIC MEGA X 3D Printer, Large Metal FHD D Printer with Patented Heatbed and 1kg PLA Filament, Build Size 11.81in (L) by 11.81in(W) by 12in(H)
The ANYCUBIC MEGA X 3D Printer is an FDM printer that comes with a substantial build space at 11.81in (L) by 11.81in (W) by 12in (H). Because of that, it belongs to 10 percent of the largest 3D printers on the market. Thanks to the proprietary microporous coating on the heat bed, models hold firmly and get off quickly after printing. Assembling this 3D printer is fast and only requires you to fasten 12 screws and attach three cables. Consequently, both veterans and beginners will find this machine handy.
- Has enhanced print quality
- Secures the heat bed for high print precision
- Can accommodate larger models
- The model remains stable during printing
- Has an intuitive TFT user interface
- Resumes printing after interruption
- The 3D printer features a rigid, stable metal frame that significantly, enhancing printing quality.
- It combines the dual-lead y-axis rail design with the dual-screw Z-axis to (stably and firmly) secure the heat bed, maintaining high print precision.
- With a large 300 by 300 by 305 millimeters build surface, the printer can accommodate larger models.
- It features proprietary microporous coating on the base bed surface to secure models while printing. Besides, it makes sure the models do not stick onto the body after printing.
- Thanks to the TFT touchscreen (like that on a mobile phone touchscreen), you get a highly intuitive user interface.
- It comes with a Resume Print feature that ensures it can pick up from the last position after a power blackout.
3. ELEGOO Mars UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer with 3.5″ Smart Touch Color Screen Off-line Print 4.53in (L) x 2.56in (W) x 5.9in (H) Printing Size Black Version
The main reason for ELEGOO Mars UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer standing out is the fast-printing CHITUBOX Slicing Software. Thanks to the hollowing effect, the printer helps save a lot of resin when photocuring. Besides, you get exceptional printing results from the combination of ELEGOO resin and 40W UV lights. Even though the whole machine has a one-year warranty, the 2K LCD and FEP consumables are covered for three months. It is available on Amazon for $250.
- Has a unique industrial design
- Can read files from a USB flash disk
- Has a large 3.5-inch colored screen
- Proprietary software prints faster
- Has an elegant design
- Features a unique industrial design complete with steel balls, enabling a zero return via only the Z-axis.
- It has a built-in computer motherboard that enables printing designs that had been saved on a USB stick.
- The large 3.5-inch color screen previews models stored USB or SD card storage devices. You can then select the files to print, just like on a computer screen.
- It has the latest, speedy, and user-friendly ELEGOO Mars software for faster results than open-source software.
- The sturdy aluminum fuselage structure has an acrylic cover that makes it elegant and durable all at the same time.
4. 3D Printer Kingroon DIY Aluminum Resume Printer with Touch Screen Assisted Level Free MicroSD Card Preloaded with Printable 3D Models, Printing Space (180 x 180 x 180mm)
For beginners, having a 3D printer with preloaded models is the best way to start testing their printing skills. After that, you can create your models and print them pronto. It comes with an advanced extruder, which significantly reduces bad extrusion and plugging risk. While few of the best 3D printers come with assisted bed leveling, this particular device is an exception. Consequently, you can adjust the height of the bed almost at will.
- Resumes printing after blackouts
- Minimizes chances of faulty extrusion
- Offers smooth, noiseless movement
- Easy to set up
- With the Resume Print feature, the printer can pick up from the last position following a lapse or power outage.
- It comes with an upgraded extruder that reduces the chances of faulty extrusion and plugging risk.
- With the precision guide rail, you get a smooth, noiseless movement. This feature also ensures that the machine can serve you for a longer time (since it minimizes wear and tear due to friction).
- Its bed makes it possible to do assisted leveling, easing the print bed setup process.
5. ANYCUBIC Photon 3D Printer UV LCD Photocuring Assembled Innovation with 2.8″ Smart Touch Color Screen Off-line Resin Print 4.53″ (L) x 2.56″ (W) x 6.1″ (H) Printing Size Black
The resin ANYCUBIC Photon 3D Printer is a CNC-quality full metal structure that makes leveling effortless. It also has a built-in air, activated carbon purification system that keeps it running efficiently. If you want a 3D printer with minimized printing time, you should buy this particular device. Interestingly, it is designed to slice a 30MB STL file in one minute. The high-precision display provides 2560×1440 2K high-definition masking with 0.0000492 inches z-axis resolution.
- Prints highly detailed models
- Has an easy-to-use software
- It comes with an excellent user interface
- Has a durable design
- It combines the 47-micron XY resolution with the 10-micron Z-axis resolution to enable you to print detailed 3D models.
- With the ANYCUBIC Photon Slicer software, you get an extraordinary user-experience and fast, effective printing.
- It has an interactive user interface with a monitor for previewing the model and giving instant the print status.
- With the high-quality CNC parts, it is one of the best 3D printers for providing repetitive, consistent performance for longer.
Best 3D Printers Buying Guide
Whether you want your first or second 3D printer, a little knowledge on how to choose one can’t hurt. We have formulated a detailed buying guide to help you know the specs. So make sure you put all our suggestions to heart if you want a machine that works. Here we go!
1. The Type of Printer
3D printers come in two main types: fused filament fabrication (FFF) and stereolithography (SLA). However, some reviewers have said subtypes in FFF – fused disposition modeling (FDM) and fused filament manufacturing (FFM) – are distinct. While these reviewers have a point, FDM and FFM printers all create models from molten plastic filaments. On the other hand, SLA printers solidify resin using UV laser beams. By focusing the laser on the print area, the printer can make a 3D model of virtually anything.
2. Printing Materials
The best 3D printers use different materials to create models. For instance, FFF printers use poly tactic acid (PLA), acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), thermoplastic elastomers (TPE), or nylon. Another preferred material for FFF 3D printers is high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which is as tough as they come. You will find these materials in assorted colors with either 1.75mm or 3mm filaments. In the case of SLA printers, the choice of printing materials is limited to resins. It will help if you realize that most printer models recommend using materials from the same manufacturer.
3. Print Resolution
The level of details you get in a 3D model is referred to as the print resolution. Printers that produce detailed models have a more sufficient resolution. For that reason, you can have high-resolution models using a 50 to 70-micron 3D printer.
4. Print Volume
The print volume refers to the limit of the size of the model a 3D printer can produce. That size is determined by the build bed’s expanse and the extent to which the print head can move. The print volume is given in cubic inches (or millimeters) so that you can create models within limits. This feature is crucial since it determines the purpose for which you can use your printer.
5. Print Quality and Speed
Even the best 3D printers take hours to print a simple model. So don’t be surprised if it takes 6 to 12 hours to print a 4-inch model. That’s because 3D printers work by applying layer after layer until the model is over. So, you need a printer with a thick deposit layer to finish the work quickly. Besides, the print speed determines the quality of the final model. Consequently, faster printers produce low-quality models. It will help if you avoid compromising the print quality by choosing a high-speed 3D printer.
Best 3D Printers FAQs
Where can I buy a 3D printer?
We recommend that you buy a 3D printer from Amazon, the largest online retailer in various products and pricing. If you have set your mind on purchasing a 3D printer, we have reviewed some of the best.
What are the best 3D printers for home use?
The best 3D printers for home use are low-priced, low-volume, and not, so quality focused. They are small-sized and usable by kids and adults alike.
What is the most advanced 3D printer?
The most advanced 3D printer is the HP Metal Jet, which works in high-volume manufacturing settings. Instead of thermoplastics or resins, it makes use of molten metal. It isn’t available for everyday use, which is why we recommend sticking to our list of products.