Uses of laptop computers in business keep growing by the day. Due to its portable nature, a laptop computer can improve the way you perform some of your business functions. It is compact and saves a lot of storage space. That’s why business laptops are growing in popularity.
Today’s laptops are much better in terms of features and functionality. Manufacturers are doing everything to make them as good as desktop computers. After all, laptops are not the go-to machines when it comes to providing business functionality.
What are the Uses of Laptop in Business?
Several uses of laptop computers in business encourage efficiency, functionality, and delivery of results. Here are some of the ways you can use a laptop in your business:
- Communication: One of the most important uses of a laptop in business is communication via email, video calls, and messenger systems. They facilitate communication, both internally and externally. Due to its portable nature, a laptop makes it possible to communicate with others remotely.
- Production of Media: Laptops play an essential role in the production of media. A good laptop will help you produce graphics, audio, video, and other types of media. It would help if you also used a laptop computer to post these media online.
- Business Research: You cannot exhaustively talk about the uses of laptop computers without mentioning its role in discovering market trends. Other areas of focus in business research include potential clients, competitors, trademarks, patents, and so on.
- Product Development: Different kinds of businesses use laptops to develop products. It could be via 3D design or other applications.
- Data Management: In many offices, people are replacing paper with electronic files stored on laptops or desktop computers. That’s because it is easier to track electronic files stored on the hard disk or in the cloud.
- Managing Human Resources: Laptops help HR practitioners manage payroll systems and other processes. All they need is to install a software or sign up for cloud services.
CHECK OUT: Buy Laptop Computers Like a Pro – Quick Tips
Advantages of a Laptop in Business
Apart from the obvious uses of laptops in business, portable computers have several advantages over their desktop counterparts. Laptops are necessary for business owners as well as employees. The following are the advantages of using a laptop computer in business:
Laptops are portable, making it possible for you to complete tasks away from your workplace desk. In some organizations, employees can complete several tasks remotely. For example, they can file reports, hand in articles, market products, complete sales, and run outreach programs.
In the wake of the COVID-19 era, several businesses have had their employees working from home. Among the uses of laptop computers that have helped is the communication function. Social distancing measures have forced people to hold meetings virtually via Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, Facebook Meeting Room, and so on.
If you are a freelancer or operate an online business, you can work from virtually anywhere in the world. You could be on holiday in the Bahamas but can still fulfill orders from your clients. All you need is a good laptop and a reliable internet connection.
Easy and Better Presentations
One of the most important uses of laptop computers is making presentations. Due to its portability, a laptop is easy to carry with you as you meet clients and other stakeholders. You can prepare your presentation using PowerPoint slides, store it on the laptop computer, and connect it to a projector to make a presentation. Where a projector isn’t available, the laptop screen is sufficient to enable you to make a good presentation.
Packs Large Storage
The uses for a laptop emanate from the fact that it has a large storage capacity. A good example is the 2020 Lenovo ThinkPad E15, which has 512 SSD storage. With such a capability, the laptop can carry all the software you need, files, and carry out graphic design tasks. Even so, you don’t have to grapple with storing your files in external devices. Once you turn the laptop on, you have everything you to perform your tasks. If you need extra storage, you can buy a flash disk, a micro-SD storage device, or an external hard disk.
If you have to choose between a laptop and a desktop, then you should consider the amount of space each occupies on a desk. Laptops are compact and can only occupy small storage space. If anything, you don’t need space for a computer, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. A laptop packs all of those components in one machine. And, you don’t even need a desk to use a laptop computer. At home, you can place it on your laps and type your notes while relaxed on a couch. When you finish working, you can store it in a laptop bag.
As technology has advanced, most manufacturers have started making laptops that also act as tablets. A good example is the 2020 HP Pavilion 15.6” 2-in-1 HD Touchscreen laptop. With such a machine, you can quickly move between the laptop and tablet functionality, depending on your needs. That means you can choose whether you want to use the keyboard or the touchscreen. If you have a presentation to make to a small group, this versatility makes it extremely easy.
One of the most important uses of laptop computers is communication. Business owners and employees can easily communicate via email, messenger apps, video calling, and so on. With the advent of social media, it is now easier for businesses to connect with clients all over the world. For example, responding to customer complaints and queries is made more comfortable if you have a laptop.
Storing Information for Longer
Physical files tend to get damaged easily, thus lasting for a considerably shorter period. It is different with laptop computers, which tend to store information for longer. On a laptop hard disk, the data stays intact for years until you decide to delete it. If you choose to use cloud storage, the data will last even longer.
Disadvantages of Laptops
- Due to their portability, laptops get exposed to damage occasioned by knocks or falls. When the screen gets broken, the computer will no longer display information the way you want it. Also, the loosening of internal parts may render it useless when it comes to connectivity.
- Their compact nature means laptops have to pack a lot of components in a small space. Thus, laptops are very complex by nature, making them extremely difficult to repair when damaged. As such, you must get a qualified technician to fix one.
- A laptop is very risky if stolen. It could allow an unauthorized individual to access critical information and use it to harm the business. That’s because it isn’t like a desktop computer, which is possible to keep under lock and key.
CHECK OUT THE FOLLOWING BUSINESS LAPTOPS ON AMAZON:
1. ASUS ExpertBook B9450 Thin and Light Business Laptop
2. Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 For Business Ultra-Thin 15” Touchscreen Laptop
3. 2020 Lenovo ThinkPad E15 15.6” Full-HD (1920×1080) Business Laptop
4. 2020HP 15.6” HD Touchscreen Premium Home & Business Laptop
5. HP EliteBook 840 G5 Business Laptop Computer
What are the features of a business laptop?
Business laptops should have certain minimal features to serve your needs better. It doesn’t have to be built like a gaming machine but should have the following features:
- The sizes of the screen
- Processor speed
- The weight of the laptop
- The battery life
- Connectivity options
- Uses of laptop computers
- Whether you will use external storage or cloud services
Most business laptops pack a lot of features that make them comparable to desktop computers. To improve durability, some feature metal or rubber covers. You may not prevent it from falling, but you can pick it in one piece afterward. So, you can buy a laptop for business use with confidence that it will provide the required functionality and last long.